Sunday, June 8, 2014

Vachel Lindsay - Poetry

I don't know this weeks poem, but I do know the poet.  One of Vachel Lindsay's poems was in the movie, 'Dead Poet's Society'.  That poem was 'Congo' and you can read it here.  This poem is called 'General William Booth Enters into Heaven'.  The entire thing is too long to put here, so I'll just put down the beginning.  The whole thing is here.

[Bass drums beat loudly.]

Booth led boldly with his big bass drum-
(Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?)
The Saints smiled gravely and they said: "He's come."
(Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?)
Walking lepers followed, rank on rank,
Lurching bravoes from the ditches dank,
Drabs from the alleyways and drug fiends pale-
Minds still passion-ridden, soul-powers frail:-
Vermin-eaten saints with mouldy breath,
Unwashed legions with the ways of Death-
(Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?)

 -

I don't know that a cold reading can do this justice.  Here is a musical rendition which seems to be in line with the spirit of the poem.


Well, it's not my usual taste.  I can't really tell if this poem is ironic or should be read straight.  After hearing the performed version, I really, really can't tell.  I don't care for dissonance in my music and the written words don't move me either. 
I didn't care for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment