Sunday, May 4, 2014

Robert Frost - Poetry

For a change, this is both a poet and a poem that I know well.  I imagine that Robert Frost is one of the best known poets of the 20th century and this, 'Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening' is one of the most famous.

Whose woods are these I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and froze lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask of there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

The first three stanzas paint a picture.  A very true one.  Having grown up in a place where winter is very real, I can see the exact scene of the forest.  I know very well that muffled time and almost mystical feel of the beginning of a heavy snow.
It's the last part that really steals the show.  'But I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep'.  Who doesn't know that time when you just want to lay down but you can't because those pesky obligations are just too big?  And so we must press on.  Away from the loveliness and down those weary miles.
This is simply a wonderful poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment