Sunday, May 25, 2014

Carl Sandburg - Poetry

Sorry for the light blogging. It's been an unexpectedly busy week. I'll try to make up for it next week.

This time I know the poet and the poem.  For some reason I don't think that this is Carl Sandburg's most famous poem, but I may be wrong.  This little gem is called 'Fog'.

The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and moves on.

What a wonderful little poem!  'The fog comes/on little cat feet'.  If you're a cat owner (like me) then you know exactly how silently they can move around.  Fog is famously the same, drifting in quietly, without notice.  And I like the image of it simply hovering over and watching the harbor and city before moving on.
I thought that 'Chicago' was his more famous poem, but I think I've been misled.  I know that the city is known as 'the city with big shoulders' based on that poem, but maybe that's not that big of a deal.

2 comments:

  1. I like this poem. It is one that my daughter memorized. As cats can be very independent, aloof and remote, I had the same impression of the fog. It doesn't engage with anything …… it just comes in quietly, sits and moves on again.

    ReplyDelete