Monday, March 31, 2014

Books Read in March

Another month done and this one seemed like a busy one for reading.  It turned out that I didn't read all that much outside of the Great Books reading list. 
  • Watership Down, Richard Adams - This was a new one to me and I wish I'd read it long ago.  It's been on my shelf for ages but for some reason I'd never taken it down.  A huge shame.  The book is told from the point of view of rabbits and it's something of a quest book.  A very fine book.
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig - This is an odd book but also very well worth reading.  I expected something of a combination of biker and hippie but it really wasn't either.  Most if it is a long search for the essence of quality.  The last 100 pages or so deal with elements of both Greek and German philosophy and tied in directly with elements of the Great Books.  Very thought provoking.
Both of these books were on this list here, which is supposed to be filled with books that you 'must read at least once in your life'.  I may pick and peck my way through the list but I won't commit to it.  The first two that I read were both excellent.  (I've also owned both for some time before reading them.  This is the curse of the book buyer!)  This was such a dense month of reading.  As soon as I'm done with Tacitus, I'm going to look for something a bit more popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment