Monday, December 21, 2015

Remaining

I wanted to make some general comments on the list of remaining works
  • There are 58 works (if you count the works that the original list broke in two as, well, two works).  I would like to read all of the rest in the next three years.  That means roughly 20 per year.  In addition, I've broken the list into four sections.  If I can read about a third of each one per year, I should be in good shape. 
  • I don't know if that will happen or not.  One reason that I want to change over to an ala carte style is so that I can move around more than I have.  I can either do a deep dive and clean out a subject, or go for more variety.  If that means I spend a full year on Plato, Aristotle and the Greeks and Romans, then so be it.
  • I haven't broken out a page count, but I'm sure that the Literature section accounts for more than half of the overall bulk.
  • Next year, 2016, is the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death.  I'm tempted to hit all of his remaining works next year to honor that.  That's 13 different plays though.  The thing is, while the plays aren't difficult, they do take some time.  Especially since I strongly feel that watching them is more important than reading them.  I'm still trying to figure that out.
  • I'm leaning towards noting what I'll be reading next but I'm not sure yet.  I'm also leaning towards throwing out a small group of possible, coming soon, pieces.  That way I can ask for advice on the best way to read them, or suggestions on how to enhance them.  I'm still trying to figure that out too.
  • I'll also post a list of pieces that are in my 'might read' pile.  These are things that I would have included if I pushed the list out to four years.  I will listen to arguments for why I should read them, but I make no promises to do so.
I feel good about this.  A couple of months ago, I was ready to bag the whole project.  Now I feel excited again.  There is a ton of stuff that I'm excited to read.  And I'm sure that some other pieces will surprise me.  That's been the common way forward so far in the Great Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment