Wednesday, December 30, 2015

List of Rejects

I wanted to write about the pieces that I chucked aside from the 10 year reading list.  Broadly, they fit into the various categories of Science, Religion and German philosophers.  There are some that I feel badly about, and some, well, not so much.


Science
  • Hippocrates
  • Galen
  • Ptolemy
  • Harvey (two pieces)
  • Darwin (two pieces)
  • James (three pieces)
  • Archimedes
  • Galileo
  • Newton
  • Huygens
  • Bacon
  • Apollonius
  • Gilbert
  • Descartes (Geometry)
  • Pascal (Experiments on Fluids etc.)
  • Fourier
  • Faraday
  • Lucretius
  • Freud (Intro to Psychology)
Of these, I feel worst about kicking out Darwin and Descartes. 


Religion
  • St Thomas Aquinas (six pieces)
  • Books of the Bible (three sections, consisting of: Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy; Job, Isaiah, Amos; Gospel of John, Romans, 1st Corinthians)
  • St Augustine (two pieces, both sections from City of God)
I feel bad about knocking out the Bible, though I have doubts that these are really the best parts to tackle.  I also feel bad about St Augustine.  I won't miss the Aquinas, though I would like to study the parts where he talks about 'just war doctrine'.  Which sounds like a separate study!


Germans
  • Kant (five pieces)
  • Hegel (two pieces)
  • Marx (three pieces)
I have a twinge of guilt about kicking out Hegel without trying him, but only a twinge.  Everything that I've read about the German schools of philosophy sounds like a serious wrong turn.  My various turns with Kant haven't changed that opinion one bit.  I should, of course, read 'Das Kapital' at some point.  But not yet.


If my math is right, these are forty-four selections.  (If anyone wants to double check the numbers, or check to see if I missed some authors, feel free to leave a comment.)  If I extend the list, I'll pick some from here but I make no promises on that. 
There.  Now I feel more free to enjoy the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment