Monday, December 30, 2013

What I Wish I'd Read Earlier - Year One

Frankly, I wish I'd had this idea last year, but so be it.  I'm going to write about what pieces of the list I wish I had read earlier in life.  Note: this isn't necessarily my favorite ones or the ones I would most recommend.  In fact, some of the best stuff, I actually had read earlier so it won't be on this list.  It might be best to think of this as a shorter list I wish I'd given my teenage self.


  • Aristophanes - 'Clouds' is simply wonderful!
  • Plutarch - 'The Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans' is a book that I wish I'd dipped in and out of much earlier in life.  It's history and biography set in contrast with two time periods and is all very interesting.
  • Montaigne - The list suggested seven different essays but there are many more worth reading.  
  • Locke & Rousseau - I wish I'd tackled much more of the 17th and 18th century thought that brought back democracy.
  • The Federalist - Someday I'd like to work my way through the entire Federalist and the body of opposing arguments.
  • Marx/Engles - The 'Manifesto of the Communist Party' is easy enough reading.  I wish I'd taken a few days earlier in life and simply made my way through it.
The rest was certainly worthwhile, and I have a grave feeling that I'm short-changing Plato and Aristotle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment