Saturday, December 14, 2013

Readings for Year Three

Another year, another set of great things to read!  You may remember that when I started this, I linked to e-versions of the works but link rot attacked that list pretty quickly.  Now I'm linking to online versions.  The e-reader versions are easily available and fairly cheap so you can still go that route.

January
Aeschylus: Prometheus Bound link
Herodotus: The History (book VII-IX) link

February
Thucydides: The History of the Peloponnesian War (book I-II, V) link

March
Plato: Statesmen link
Aristotle: On Interpretation (Chapters 1-10) link
Aristotle: Politics (book III-V) link
Euclid: Elements (book I) link

April
Tacitus: The Annals link

May
St Thomas Aquinas: Summa Theologica (part I-II QQ 90-97) link

June
Chaucer: Troilus and Cressida link

July
Shakespeare: Macbeth link

August
Milton: Paradise Lost link

September
Locke: An Essay on Human Understanding (Book III, Ch 1-3, 9-11) link
Kant: Science of Right link

October
Mill: Representative Government (Ch 1-6) link
Lavoisier: Elements of Chemistry (Part I) link

November
Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamazov (Part I-II) link

December
Freud: The Origin and Development of Psycho-Analysis link

There are a couple of things that I want to mention with this list.  The first is that the size of each month varies pretty widely for year three.  I did the best I could in portioning.  If you're planning on reading along this year, you may want to work ahead at times.  The meatiest part of the year is going to be September and October.  All four pieces will require some effort.
The other thing is that there are some wonderful bits of history and literature here.  We're getting more Herodotus and some Thucydides.  Tacitius is basically history.  We've got Shakespeare, Chaucer and Dostoevsky coming up.  Some absolutely wonderful reads.
Hope you come along!













No comments:

Post a Comment