Saturday, October 1, 2022

Peter Beagle

 Imaginary Interviewer: Another month, another new book! What are we reading this time?

Humble Writer: We're reading 'The Last Unicorn' by Peter Beagle. 

II: Was a movie made from this book?

HW: Yes. I watched it recently on Tubi. The movie was also written by Beagle and stays very faithfully to the book.

II: What do you know about Beagle?

HW: Nothing, really. I remembered the title of the movie from the early 80s. That's all.

II: So, you haven't read 'The Last Unicorn' before?

HW: I haven't. I've started it already, though, and I can tell you that it's very good.

II: What else is Beagle known for?

HW: Scanning his Wikipedia page, I see some praise for a book called 'A Fine and Private Place' but I haven't heard of it before. Apparently he did some screenwriting for the Bakshi animated version of 'The Lord of the Rings' and did some writing for Star Trek:TNG. 

II: What can you tell us about 'The Last Unicorn'?

HW: It came out in 1968 and it feels absolutely like fantasy that was written in the 60s or 70s. By which I mean that it is clever and unexpected but not mean or cynical. It has some darkness and some joy. I recommend it.

II: Anything else?

HW: The book isn't that long. Only a couple of hundred pages. Pick it up and give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment