Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Jasper Fforde

 (Sorry this is late!)


Interviewer: Who are we reading next?

Humble Writer: 'The Eyre Affair' by Jasper Fforde.

I: Do you know much about Fforde?

HW: No, nothing really. This is the first time I've read any of his works. Maybe the first time I've heard of him. 

I: His last name is interesting. 

HW: Yes. I love the double F!

I: Is he well known in writing circles?

HW: I don't really know. Looking at the Wikipedia page, I don't see a lot of awards or nominations. He did write something that was turned into a TV show, which is a nice accomplishment. 

I: What do you think of the book?

HW: 'The Eyre Affair' is really interesting! It's kind of madcap in the English way, with alternate history, time travel and a world bustling with literary awareness. In many ways it feels like a Dirk Gently story, from the (sadly short) detective series written by Douglas Adams.

I: How do you mean?

HW: Well, you've got a mystery, or at least a crime, that needs to be solved. Nothing travels in a straight line and yet it somehow all makes sense. 

I: So you'd recommend it?

HW: Yes. Unreservedly yes. There are some literary references that will help you though I don't know how needful they are. 

I: Like what?

HW: The main story has quite a bit to do with the novel 'Jane Eyre'. I've read it, but I don't remember much of the particulars of the story. 'The Eyre Affair' clued me in on what I needed to know without feeling clunky or boring. Similarly, there is a plot point about a Dickens novel, 'Martin Chuzzlewit'. I've never read it, but I didn't feel lost about it either.

I: Overall summation?

HW: It's a light and enjoyable read. Perfect holiday fare.  

No comments:

Post a Comment