Sunday, October 2, 2011

An Invitation

As I mentioned, in a few months I'm going to start a long reading program. I'd love some company and I'm hoping that some people reading this will come along. The plan is ten years long, each year having 18 different pieces of reading.
Ten Years?
Yeah, it's a long one but I don't want anyone to be intimidated by the length. I'm hoping to do the whole thing in order but that doesn't mean everyone else needs to. Anyone that wants to hop in and out is welcome to do so. That includes anyone that simply stumbles across this through Google. Come on in!
Eighteen Pieces a Year?
It would have been easier if they'd gone with twelve or twenty four so we could just follow the monthly pattern. We'll simply have to improvise. Some months will have two or even three pieces. I've tried to figure this out for fairly balanced lengths of work.
Just How Long are we Talking Here?
The designers felt that an average person could do this with about fifteen minutes of reading per day. Each month will have something like 100 pages or so. Sometimes more, sometimes a lot more. But the really lengthy ones are written in novel form. For instance, one month will be Melville's 'Moby Dick' which is pretty doable in a month.
Any Thoughts on Format?
Yes. I have some ideas on how to do this. There will be some regularly scheduled questions and themes. Some will be stodgy and traditional but I'll try for some that mix things up.
What About the Series Itself? Any Good?
I think so. It certainly hits all of the high points that I can think of. Not that it's without flaws. My set ends before the 20th century so there is quite a bit of modern thought missing. And it concentrates very heavily on European thought. And no women.
No Women?
Yep. In fairness to the editors, for most of the period of time covered women simply couldn't break through and write like men could. The set could have included some poetry and a few 19th century novelists and it probably should have. I'll be open to suggestions from commenters on filling in the gaps.
What Else?
One of the interesting things about this is that it includes quite a bit of natural science, history and religion. The editors think that the 'average reader' would be able to handle more of this than is ordinarily thought. I'll be interested in testing this out.
Religion?
There is a fairly large religious content to all of this. This makes sense as there was a period of pre-Enlightenment time when the big thinkers were almost all part of the church. Plus, the Judeo-Christian foundation is a huge piece of our civilizational framework. We just don't think about it today. (And I'm curious what we can still learn from St Augustine and Thomas Aquinas.)

So there is the reading plan. Feel free to dip your toe in and try it out. You might learn and grow. I hope to.

4 comments:

  1. I commend you for taking on this project. I am nearing the first year of my read through the Great Books, and it has been very rewarding.

    2 things that may interest you: if you are following the 10-year reading plan corresponding to the 1950s edition of the Great Books, you can take advantage of the "Great Ideas" 10-volume set published by Adler in the 1960s that tracks the program and provides questions for consideration and discussion.

    Secondly, and you may already know this, but the 10-year plan Adler recommends will not take you completely through the series. I'd estimate that upon completion you'll probably have read less than one-third of the entire Great Books of the Western World series. I wasn't able to find a recommended schedule of reading for the entire series, so I had to come up with my own for the project I'm tracking on my blog.

    At any rate, I wish you all the best in this noble endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 2nd edition of the set included more authors, including 4 women (albeit, only in literature), and 6 volumes of selections from the 20th century. People who dismiss The Great Books because they are made up of Dead White guys should consider the following:

    1) While the Great Books set doesn't include everything that is essential to understanding Western Civilization, all the books in it are essential.

    2) Just supplement with a reading list of women, African Americans, Native Americans, and whatever else you feel is missing.

    The Great Books are significant life-changers for those who really dig into them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's exactly right. Even if the list isn't perfect, and really what list could be, that doesn't disqualify the books that are there.

    ReplyDelete