Friday, June 8, 2012

Poetry

One of my literary weak points is poetry.  I have enjoyed some poems here and there and I definitely enjoy a poetic turn of phrase, but I've long felt that there was something go on with poetry that I just wasn't getting.  That's especially true with longer, epic poems.  (Of all the difficult works in the Great Books list, the one that most intimidates me is Virgil in year five!)
Last weekend I went to a garage sale and picked up a book called 'The 100 Best Poems of All Time'.  I don't know if it will live up to its grand title and, to be honest, I don't know if it is supposed to do so.  But it seems like a good way to stretch my mind a bit.  To that end I'm going to blog my way through each of those hundred poems, about one a week (though probably not every week).  It will also fill up some of the dead days that otherwise seem to fill up over here. 
Got that?  Ok then, here is the first.  It is a small section of 'the Illiad' by Homer translated into English sometime around beginning of the 17th century.  I'll reproduce the whole thing here:

Achilles' baneful wrath resound, O Goddesse, that imposd
Infinite sorrowes on the Greekes, and many brave soules losd
From breasts Heroique - sent them farre, to that invisible cave
That no light comforts; and their lims to dogs and vultures gave.
To all which Jove's will gave effect; from whom first strife begunne
Betwixt Atrides, king of men and Thetis' godlike Sonne.
Hmmm.  This doesn't do much for me.  I've read some of the Illiad, though it has been some time.  This passeage doesn't seem to stand out much from the rest.  I'll grant its importance but I don't know how much poetic worth it has. 
Ok, I do like the bit about the 'invisible cave/That no light comforts'.  What a wonderful description of the grave.  The last two lines though, leave me cold. 
Maybe the next poem will be more to my liking.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know that this is the best passage in The Iliad. It is the opening of it. The last two lines are interesting in terms of theology. God caused the conflict between the Grecian commander-in-chief, Agamemnon, and Achilles. That conflict resulted in the deaths of many Greeks, though they ultimately won the war. Why did God will an internal conflict for the Greeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the Greek gods were a fractious bunch, with various goals and favorites. Christian theology neatly side steps this problem with the trinity in one. At least I've never heard of any meaningful conflict there!
      I didn't know that this was from the very beginning of the Illiad. It might have been better if they'd looked for some gems further in.

      Delete
  2. Virgil is the sort of thing that excited me. I was far more frightened by the math and science texts. I commend you for tackling some poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love poetry and am looking forward to authors like Homer and Virgil. I've already read, and love, Dante and Milton. The daunting subject for me is politics. The last portion of Year One on the reading list consists mostly of political books. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting the different things we each fear and look forward to. I'm glad I've found some other people that have gone through the Great Books or are going through them now. Kind of like a support group or something.
      Thanks guys!

      Delete