Saturday, February 4, 2012

First Month Finale

I forgot to put this up last week, but since we haven't started digging in to month two yet, it isn't too late. This is mostly a place for some more thoughts on Socrates and Aristophanes. So . . .
  • Should Socrates have tried to escape as he was urged to in the Crito?
  • Was there more to 'Clouds' than I mentioned?
  • Would Lysistrata have been able to stop a war by withholding sex?

And of course

  • What did Socrates think he was accomplishing in 'the Apology'?


After one month I'm pretty happy with this project. I've spent many a night falling asleep while pondering some Plato. Stan said this would change our lives and I can see that. I'm also very happy to have some companions on the Great Books path with me. We only have 119 months left but I'm sure we'll have a good time.

2 comments:

  1. Peder - just a note to say hi and let you know I haven't abandoned you. Despite having my folks visit for 5 weeks in the middle of snap early parliamentary elections that just finished up last week, I was still able to finish all of the January reading and completed Books 1 and 2 of the Republic. I will try to be more active in the discussion going forward, but thanks for your posts and information, it is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure you guys were still there. Hope things are going well!

      Delete