Sunday, January 15, 2012

Clouds - Aristophanes

I don't have much to say about 'Clouds' other than that I enjoyed it. Instead of taking notes I just read through. Well, I have a few notes I guess:


  • I guess mistrust of philosophers is pretty darn old. The treatment here reminded me of Mel Brooks in 'History of the World Part 1' where he told Bea Arthur that he was a stand up philosopher and she corrected him to 'bull-shitter'.

  • I'm guessing that you get very different experiences with Aristophanes depending on the translation. For instance when old and new school philosophies are debating, it's helpful to know what the punishment for adultry was in Greece. This post was helpful to me. Ouch!

  • I'll admit to some surprise at just how relateable 'Clouds' is to a modern audience. If you picked the right version and substitued a few modern names you could put this on at a college theater tomorrow.

  • I really enjoyed the idea of simple clouds being goddesses. Might have to pass that on to my kids sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment